Friday, January 6, 2012

Only ashes left of the Agneepath series

From the time the Indian team for the Australian tour was announced, I, like millions of Indians anticipated a fighting series. All the stars were in the team, ageing and the young. The Australian team was a shadow of the great teams of the past.

I planned my routine such that I would be able to watch the ball-by-ball TV coverage starting at an unearthly 5 am. On Test match days at Melbourne and Sydney, I would get up at 4.30 am to make myself a hot cup of Colombian Supreme coffee and settle down in my LazBoy. My iPad was also beside me with the page open on the EspnCricinfo site just to read some of the comments of their commentators.
Today I am a disillusioned Indian. From the land of Rani Jhansi, Kittur Chenamma, Shivaji and Prithviraj Chauhan, it is depressing to see the abject surrender of our present day ill-trained sporting soldiers on the battlefields of Australia.
Prior to the tour, we were told that our bowling was the weak link but that would be overcome by our batting gladiators who have collectively accumulated over 100,000 runs over the years. Alas, it seems that at least our bowlers are making an effort to give a fight.
Our star, Sachin Tendulkar has scored 326 runs in four innings. Who is next? Not Sehwag (108), not Laxman (71). Not even Dravid (112). R Ashwin with 143 runs. He is the only batsman after Tendulkar to have reached double figures in all the four innings. Gambhir and Dhoni have not even reached a total of 100 each. What to say of Kohli? A total of 43 has converted a so-called future Indian Captain to just a tyro. All his middle-fingering has no value unless he proves his mettle on the 22 yards middle.
The dark circles under my eyes owing to lack of proper sleep are a testimony to the faith I still have in the Indian team. I am still ready to wake up early mornings to motivate my team by remote. But I at least expect them to go down fighting. Let their noses be bloodied and have bruises on their bodies but I expect them to get up and say, "Be proud of me. I still have my fighting spirit intact."

No comments: